South Florida Nursing Homes Receive Poor Government Ratings
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services maintains a database that grades approximately 15,000 Medicare and Medicaid-certified nursing home homes nationwide. A recent article in the Miami Herald reviewed the data and returned a troubling list of homes in South Florida that only received 1 star from the 5-star quality ratings.
The 5-star quality rating is based on health inspections, staffing and quality measures assessed by trained inspectors who visit the nursing homes to check on quality of care and speak with residents. 10 homes in South Florida received a “much below average” 1 star rating. Some of the deficiencies that led to these low ratings in 2015 included:
- Failure to maintain a sanitary environment or use proper hygiene controls.
- Patient Mistreatment
- Failure to develop a pain relief care plan for patients
- Failing to implement abuse prevention measures
- Failing to prevent infections from spreading
- Giving wrong medications to patients
- Letting patients’ sores fester
- Improper disposal of garbage, including soiled adult diapers
- Failing to take preventative measures against falls
- Risking injury to patients by not securing bed rails properly
- Not regulating hot water temperatures in bathrooms
- Bug infestations
- Failure to provide biohazards waste container in a room of a resident with the highly contagious MRSA infection
- Not providing an environment where a resident can have dignity and self-respect
Nursing home residents are extremely vulnerable and at the mercy of their caretakers. Failings such as the ones detailed above, constitute abuse and neglect, and can often result in catastrophic injuries. Family members place a significant amount of trust in these nursing homes and are usually unaware of the conditions their loved ones are subjected to. Unfortunately, in many cases of nursing home abuse, the severity of neglect is not apparent until it is too late. If you have questions about nursing home abuse or neglect, or if you have a family member who has been a victim of negligence, please contact immediately Domnick Cunningham & Yaffa for information. To arrange a consultation, please call us at 1-800-681-8882, or visit our website today at www.dcwlaw.com.