About Jeanmarie Whalen
Jeanmarie Whalen is an experienced civil trial lawyer and shareholder in the law firm of Domnick Cunningham & Whalen. She has a statewide and national practice devoted solely to representing the victims of catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death. Ms. Whalen has litigated complex cases and specializes in trucking, automobile, aviation, maritime, bicycle, as well as motorcycle and pedestrian accidents. She has obtained an excess of over 30 multi-million dollar recoveries for her clients and earned membership into the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a nationwide forum limited to trial lawyers who have won multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements.
Ms. Whalen has achieved an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available from the nation’s oldest guide to the legal profession, for her legal ability and ethical standards. She has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the field of personal injury, Florida “Super Lawyers” and as a “Top Lawyer” by the South Florida Legal Guide multiple times.
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2018-2022)
- Palm Beach Gardens, FL
- Personal Injury Litigation– Plaintiffs
- Palm Beach Gardens, FL
- FJA Compassionate Gladiatrix Award (2021)
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers (2019-2021)
- Palm Beach Illustrated “Top Lawyer” (2018-2021)
- American Association for Justice
- Distinguished Service Award (2020)
- FAWL Leaders in the Law (2020)
- FJA EAGLE Legend Award (2019)
- FJA Cornerstone Award (2019)
- Justice Barbara Pariente Award (2017)
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The National Trial Lawyers
- Trucking Trial Lawyers Association Top 10
- Florida Super Lawyers (2016-2021)
- South Florida Legal Guide “Top Lawyer” (2012-2021)
- Florida Council of Bar Association Presidents Award (1997, 1998 & 2000)
- American Association for Justice
- Board of Governors (2011 – Present)
- Co-Chair, Election Committee (2016-2018)
- Chair, Trucking Litigation Group (2019-2020)
- Chair-Elect, Trucking Litigation Group (2018-2019)
- Vice Chair, Trucking Litigation Group (2017-2018)
- Secretary, Trucking Litigation Group (2016-2017)
- Executive Board, Trucking Litigation Group (2013 – Present)
- Treasurer, Bus Litigation Group (2018-2019)
- Secretary, Bus Litigation Group (2017-2018)
- Member, Public Affairs Committee (2017-2019)
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers
- Distinguished Fellow
- Florida Bar
- Chair, Grievance Committee – 15th Judicial Circuit
- Member – 15th Judicial Circuit
- Florida Justice Association
- Board of Governors (2011 – Present)
- EAGLE Member
- Chair, Women’s Caucus (1996-1997)
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers ( Martin County Chapter)
- Martin County Bar Association
- National Association of Female Executives
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- National Women’s Political Caucus
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Palm Beach County Justice Association
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers (Statewide)
- Mattie Belle Davis Society
- President (1999-2000)
- Board of Directors (1996-2000)
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers ( Palm Beach County Chapter)
- President (1996-1998)
- Board of Directors (1994-1996)
- Lecturer: “Difference Between a Successful Mediation vs. a Non-Successful Mediation,” American Association for Justice Trucking Litigation Webinar (2020)
- Lecturer: “Tactics to Use in Virtual Mediation & Settlement,” AAJ Amped Up (2020)
- Lecturer: “Critical Depositions in the Commercial Motor Vehicle Case—Getting the Documents, People, and Admissions Needed,” AAJ Amped Up (2020)
- Lecturer: “The Power of Persuasion: Mediation and Negotiation Techniques to Elevate Your Practice,” Mississippi Association for Justice (2020)
- Moderator: “Stay Ahead of The Curve-Trucking and Auto Cases.” (2020)
- Moderator: American Association for Justice Jazz Fest Webcast (2020)
- Moderator: American Association for Justice Trucking Litigation Group Members Only (2019)
- Lecturer: “Transportation Network Companies: Forging a New Path Through Technology,” American Association for Justice Trucking Litigation Group Members Only (2019)
- Moderator: “Specialized Depositions College on Trucking,” American Association for Justice (2019)
- Lecturer: “Taking Your Seat at the Leadership Table and Expanding that Table to Include More Women: How to Demand More Complex Work, Interaction with Decision Makers and How to Promote Yourself,” Alliance of Women Trial Lawyers Annual Conference (2019).
- Lecturer: “Navigating the Trucking Case,” Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL), Martin County Chapter (2019)
- Moderator: “Know Your Worth: How to ask for a Raise, Negotiate a Salary and Compete for Work,” Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL), Palm Beach County Chapter (2019)
- Lecturer: “Using Rules to Maximize Damages in the Bus Crash Cases,” AAJ Trucking Litigation Members Only Seminar (2018)
- Panelist: “Women Trial Lawyers,” Palm Beach County Bar Association Sidebar Series (2018)
- Lecturer: “Mediation and Negotiation Strategy in Truck Cases,” American Association for Justice Annual Convention(2018)
- Lecturer: “Rules of the Road in Big Truck Cases,” Kentucky Justice Association (2018)
- Program Co-Chair “Proving Damages to get the Big Verdict,” AAJ Trucking Litigation Members Only Seminar (2017)
- Lecturer: “Pre-Mediation Preparation,” American Association for Justice Annual Convention (2017)
- Lecturer: “Deposing and Cross-Examining the Truck Driver in the Parked/Stopped/Slowed Truck Case,” AAJ Advanced Trial Advocacy College (2015)
- Lecturer: “Navigating the Trucking Case,” Florida Justice Association (2015)
- Lecturer: “Using Experts in your Trucking Case,” New Jersey Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar (2015)
- Lecturer: “Preparing the Truck Crash Case For Trial,” Florida Justice Association (2014)
- Lecturer: “Experts: Using Rules To Prove The Tractor Trailer Crash Case,” AAJ Trucking Litigation Seminar (2014)
- Lecturer: “Transportation Litigation,” American Association for Justice Annual Convention (2013)
- Co-Chair, “Hell on the Highways Seminar,” Florida Justice Association (2013)
- Lecturer: “Debunking the Defense Trucking Expert’s Theories,” Florida Justice Association (2012)
- Lecturer: “Conspicuity, Experts & Lighting Up the Reptile,” American Association for Justice (2012)
- Lecturer: “Mediation to the Max,” National Trial Lawyers Association (2012)
- Lecturer: “How to Move an Offer from Good to Great,” 360 Advocacy (2012)
- Lecturer: “Mediation in the New Millennium,” American Association for Justice (2012)
- Lecturer: “Debunking the Defendant’s Trucking Expert’s Theories,” Florida Justice Association Workhorse Seminar (2011)
- “The Mighty Trucking Case,” Trial, February 2011
- “Illuminate Damages with a Video Settlement Brochure,” Trial, April 2012
- “How to Mess Up Your Mediation,” Trial Magazine, August 2021
- Executive Cabinet, American Heart Association Go Red for Women Campaign
- Board of Directors: Palm Beach County Cultural Council
- Board of Directors: Center for Family Services
“Recently my wife and I were involved in a serious motorcycle accident. We retained Jeanmarie Whalen from Domnick Cunningham and Whalen. Upon meeting Jeanmarie,we quickly realized how knowledgeable courteous and friendly she is . We received calls from her 2-3 times a week to check on our well being and making sure to answer our questions during this difficult time. She was truly a blessing. Jeanmarie remained vigilant and maximized the take home of our settlement. She and her staff handled our case in a very caring and professional manner. We will be forever grateful,and would highly recommend this law firm. ”
- Frank A.
The Legal Journey
Ms. Whalen is admitted to the Florida Bar, the New York Bar, and the Connecticut Bar. In addition to her successful law practice, she has held several esteemed leadership roles. She currently holds positions in both statewide and national trial lawyer organizations, serving on the Board of Governors of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) and the Florida Justice Association and as Past Chair of AAJ’s Trucking Litigation Group.
She is a past President of the Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL), Florida’s statewide women’s bar association and 2017 recipient of their most prestigious honor, the Justice Barbara Pariente Award . She has also served as a two-term President of the Palm Beach County Chapter of the Florida Association for Women Lawyers. Ms. Whalen is a past Chair of the Women’s Caucus of the Florida Justice Association and a past Chair of the Florida Bar Convention. Additionally, she has served as an appointed member to the Florida Bar Grievance Committee, which included service as its’ Chairperson. In 2017 and 2018, she was nominated for the Women in Leadership Award in the Private Sector category by the Executive Women of the Palm Beaches. The annual awards ceremony honors women who demonstrate excellence in their chosen professions or who have made a significant difference in Palm Beach County through their volunteer work.
Ms. Whalen has been active in establishing a number of seminars and popular legal education programs designed specifically for women lawyers, including the Florida Association for Women Lawyers’ Trial Advocacy Skills seminar series which she chaired for several years. Ms. Whalen has also lectured at various seminars throughout the country for the Florida Justice Association, the American Association for Justice, and various state trial lawyer organizations. She has also authored numerous articles in national and international legal publications.
Ms. Whalen’s other professional associations include the Palm Beach County Justice Association, the National Association of Women Lawyers, the Palm Beach County Bar Association, the National Women’s Political Caucus and the National Association of Female Executives.
In addition to her professional associations and legal service, Ms. Whalen has committed her time and efforts to various community organizations, including serving on the Board of Directors of the Center for Family Services, the Palm Beach County Cultural Council and as an Executive Committee member for the American Heart Association’s “Go Red for Women” campaign.
Ms. Whalen received her Juris Doctorate from Whittier College School of Law and her undergraduate degree from The Catholic University of America.
Best Lawyers®, the oldest and most respected lawyer ranking service in the world, has recognized all four Shareholders of Domnick Cunningham & Whalen in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition.
Domnick Cunningham & Whalen is pleased to announce all four Shareholders: Sean Domnick, Fred Cunningham, Jeanmarie Whalen, and Gregory M. Yaffa, were included in the 2021 Florida Super Lawyers list.
Sean Domnick, Fred Cunningham, and Jeanmarie Whalen, Shareholders of DCW, were named in the 2021 edition of Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers.
Domnick Cunningham & Whalen is proud to announce our four shareholders Fred Cunningham, Sean Domnick, Jeanmarie Whalen, Greg Yaffa, and DCW attorney Michelle DeLong have been featured in the first edition of The Best Lawyers: Injury and Malpractice Issue.
Jeanmarie Whalen, a Shareholder at Domnick Cunningham & Whalen, received the 2021 Compassionate Gladiatrix Award. The award was presented last week on February 25th at the Florida Justice…
Domnick Cunningham & Whalen is proud to announce that shareholders Fred Cunningham, Jeanmarie Whalen and Greg Yaffa were named “Top Lawyers” in the 2021 South Florida Legal Guide. They were recognized for the category of, “Personal Injury…
DCW Shareholder Jeanmarie Whalen was recently selected to become a Distinguished Fellow of the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers. Individuals are chosen by meeting certain requirements and must…
Domnick Cunningham & Whalen is proud to announce all four Shareholders have been selected by their peers for inclusion…
This award is presented annually to members of the AAJ Board of Governors who have shown to be especially helpful in aiding the President of the AAJ during the past year. Ms. Whalen has been on the…
DCW shareholder Jeanmarie Whalen and attorney Nicole Kruegel spoke last week at the American Association for Justice Amped Up Virtual Event. This year, the annual convention looked a little different as it was held through using zoom, a virtual video platform, due to the impact of the coronavirus and the health risk physical conventions now hold.
DCW Shareholders Fred Cunningham, Jeanmarie Whalen and Gregory Yaffa will be in the Palm Beach Illustrated September 2020 issue “Top Lawyer” feature. Palm Beach Illustrated is a magazine that showcases the Palm Beach lifestyle and businesses.
The organization presents this award annually to women who have earned the respect of others professionally, have been involved in activities for the betterment of their local community, exemplified the qualities of a positive role model, and advanced…
DCW Shareholder Jeanmarie Whalen recently served as a moderator at the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Jazz Fest Webcast titled “Stay Ahead…
The three-day college focused on trucking deposition techniques that are critical to being a successful trial lawyer. Over 50 trial lawyers from across North America participated in the event. Ms. Whalen is the current Chair of the AAJ Trucking Litigation…
Ms. Whalen is an experienced civil trial lawyer and a leader in…
Domnick Cunningham & Whalen is pleased to announce that Jeanmarie Whalen has been…
Jeanmarie Whalen, a Shareholder at Domnick Cunningham & Whalen, was presented..
Ms. Whalen has an extensive record of leadership including…